|Keto Cheese Bread with Soda Easy Recipe|
- 275ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- Flour, for dusting
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 450g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon dried sage
- 75g mature English Cheddar, grated
- Butter, for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/fan oven 170˚C/gas mark 5.
- Grease a baking sheet with butter. Heat the oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan and add the leek and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until it is just starting to brown. Add the sage and allow to cool.
- Put the leeks and sage in to a large mixing bowl with the cheese, flour, salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Add the beaten egg to the mixture. Now gradually add the buttermilk until you have a smooth dough. You might need to add the extra milk. Don’t worry if the dough is sticky. Transfer the dough to a floured worksurface and knead it to bring it together. Form the dough into a round approximately 23cm/9in in diameter.
- Pop the dough onto the greased baking sheet and press it down to form a round. Make deep cuts across the top to make six wedges and bake the bread in the oven for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- The bread is best served warm, but it will keep for a couple of days if it doesn’t all disappear as soon as you serve it!