|Victoria Sponge Cake|
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar, sieved
- For the vanilla icing
- 85g (3 oz) Stork tub
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons jam
- For the filling
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8 oz) Stork tub
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- For the cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 170°C, 160°C Fan, Gas 4.
- Put all the sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon for 2 - 3 minutes until smooth and well combined.
- Divide your mixture between two greased and bottom-lined 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins.
- Pop them in the middle of your pre-heated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until beautifully golden.
- Turn them out, remove the paper and cool on a cake rack.
- Spread the jam over the middle, sandwich the two pieces together and dust the top with icing sugar.
- Or for something even more delicious mix your vanilla icing ingredients in a bowl until smooth and spread through the middle and over the top of your cake.