Linguine With Red Clam Sauce And Crockpot Oyster Stew Recipe
Linguine with Red Clam Sauce Recipe
1 (11 ounces) package fresh linguine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 (28 ounces) can crushed Italian tomatoes
Roux is a thickening agent used in Cajun cooking.
7 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over high heat until it begins to smoke (about 4 minutes). With a long-handled metal whisk, gradually mix in flour, stirring until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly until roux is dark red-brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Be careful not to let it scorch in the pan or splash on your skin.) Remove from heat and use as needed. Extra roux may be kept in the refrigerator indefinitely.
Hawaii Haystack Recipe
- 2 whole chickens
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups Minute rice
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
- 1 cup strained, reserved chicken broth
Put chickens into a large stew pot and add water, onions, and carrots. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer for an hour or until chickens are cooked. Reserve broth.
De-bone and cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Place chicken pieces in crockpot. Add all the other ingredients except rice. Cook chicken and gravy for 1 hour on HIGH or for 2 hours on LOW.
Cook 4 cups Minute rice in 5 cups remaining broth on stove-top over medium-high heat. Add water if necessary to make the 5 cups of broth.
To assemble the dish: Layer the following ingredients in order in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole dish, let sit for 10 minutes, then serve:
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) can chow mein noodles
- Cooked rice
- Chicken and gravy (from the crockpot)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounces) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated American cheese
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen shredded coconut
- 1 (4 ounces) jar pimentos, diced
Crockpot Oyster Stew Recipe
- 1 1/2 quarts milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pint or more oysters, with liquid
Put all ingredients except oysters in a 3 1/2-quart crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours. Stir well. Add oysters and cook on LOW for 1 to 3 hours.