Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Source: WW Cream of the Crop
- Pastry Crust
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa Dash of salt
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1-ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese (about 1/4 cup), softened
- 2 cups sliced ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate curls (optional)
Prepare and bake Pastry Crust. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, and a dash of salt in a small heavy saucepan; gradually add 1/3 cup milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spread chocolate mixture into the bottom of the prepared crust.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a heavy saucepan. Stir in remaining 1 cup milk and eggs; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 seconds or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
Place cream cheese in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup hot custard to cream cheese, beating until just blended. Gradually stir in the remaining hot custard.
Arrange banana slices on top of the chocolate layer in prepared crust; spoon custard over bananas. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap; chill 4 hours.
Remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped topping evenly over custard. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired. Chill until ready to serve.
Yield: 8 servings - 7 WW points per serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 fat
Bananas and Cream Bread
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 tablespoons mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or raisins
Add all ingredients except the raisins or nuts and bake on raisin bread cycle. At the beeper add the raisins or nuts.
Sisters of Lourdes Hospital Ice Cream with Variations
This recipe is used by the Sisters of Lourdes Hospital, Paducah, Kentucky.
- 4 whole eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (13 ounces) can evaporate milk
- 3 pints half-and-half *
- Vanilla extract
Beat together the above ingredients. Add ingredients listed under one of the following variations:
To the basic recipe add 6 or 7 finely chopped (or put in blender) ripe peaches.
To the basic recipe add 3 mashed, ripe bananas.
In the basic recipe substitute, 1 can Hershey
Banana Pie Royale
- 2 (8 ounces) containers of pineapple yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons rum flavoring
- 2 small boxes of instant banana cream pudding and pie filling mix
- 2 cups frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, milk, rum flavor, and pudding mix. With wire whisk, beat until thickened; fold whipped topping into pudding mixture until no streaks remain. Spoon half of the pudding mixture into crust.
Peel and slice banana. Arrange in a single layer on the pie. Spoon the remaining pudding mixture on top. Sprinkle toasted coconut around edge; refrigerate 30 minutes or until dessert time.\Garnish top with additional banana slices. Makes 8 servings.